As we start the New Year, I know so many people are trying to make some healthy choices. So I wanted to share a great whole wheat muffin recipe with you. When I was in Zion National Park, I had a bran banana muffin. It was good, but I felt like it was a tad bit dry. So I decided I wanted to remake this muffin, with some changes. Instead of bran, I went with whole wheat flour. It is easier to find at the grocery stores, I had no idea how hard it was to find bran. I love using greek yogurt for a little extra protein and 2% organic milk. I also cut back on the sugar and added some oatmeal for extra fiber. I use a lot of organic products, but you don’t need to. But please make sure you are using really ripe bananas.
This past year I made a lot of changes to my healthy lifestyle, I did the Arbonne 30 day reset to get me started, which was the best thing for me. As I was doing it, I learned a lot about making smart choices. After the 30 days, I learned more about smart choices and that is really about balance. Trust me it isn’t always easy, being a recipe creator and a person that loves to bake and cook.
So this year, you will see a lot of different kinds of recipes, from sweet to healthy and somewhere in between.
Makes 1 dozen
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups organic whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- ½ cup milk
- ¾ cup pecans
- Preheat oven to 350
- Either spray muffin pan with Pam or line with muffin liners, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together whole wheat flour, oatmeal, baking powder, cinnamon and salt, set aside.
- In small bowl whisk together milk and grreek yogurt, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together oil, butter, brown sugar and sugar, until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs, bananas and vanilla, mix until combined.
- Add ⅓ of the flour mixture, alternating with the milk mixture, starting with the flour mixture and ending with the flour mixture.
- Scoop batter into prepared cupcake pan, bake for 15 minutes or until done.