People love pumpkin, but not everyone loves pumpkin pie. This pumpkin roll is a great alternative to pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving and Christmas. This is a classic dessert for the It is pretty easy to make and a little messy. This is my favorite recipe and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do in my house.
- ¾ cup all purpose flour spooned and level
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ baking soda
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- ⅔ cup pumpkin puree
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 8oz package of Philadelphia cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 ½ cups of sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Dash of salt
- Preheat oven to 350
- Lightly spray a 15×10 pan with Pam and line with parchment paper, making sure the parchment paper sticks to the pan and hangs at least one inch above the sides of the pan. You will use the parchment to lift the pumpkin roll out of the pan.
- Spray the parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, pumpkin puree, brown sugar, sugar and vanilla until combined, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin spice, cinnamon and salt.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, making sure to spread evenly.
- Baked for 13-15 minutes, it will be done when the cake bounces back after touching it with your finger.
- Remove the cake from the oven and immediately use the parchment paper to remove the cake from the pan and slowly roll the cake starting with the shorter end of the parchment paper, set aside to cool.
- Let the cake cool completely for a few hours on the counter.
- In a mixing bowl cream butter and softened cream cheese in a mixing bowl for 1 minute, add the powdered sugar, salt and vanilla, beat until smooth.
Assembly of the cake
- Carefully and slowly unroll the cake, making sure it isn’t sticking.
- Spread the filling evenly on the cake with a spatula almost to the edge.
- Carefully roll the cake backup without the parchment paper, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour. Cake can also be frozen for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator the night before serving.
- Sprinkle it with powdered sugar before serving and slice to serve. I actually like to freeze the cake before serving. I feel it slices better.